Learning Lightworks

I have been playing around with a new piece of software that the IT department in my division loaded on to my computer last week - Lightworks. (Well, actually, they tried loading it onto my old laptop a week before but that resulted in a number of "fatal error" messages and then a continual restarting.)

The good news is that I got a new laptop. And my "stuff" was not lost. Luckily, I had backed up everything the week before, but the guys in IT still were able to transfer all data over to the new laptop. I am always amazed by that team! Way to go guys!!

So Lightworks is a relatively new Open Source software program that allows users to edit video. I started playing around on Tuesday, as soon as I got the new laptop. But truthfully, I had no clue what to do. I couldn't even import video into a new project!!!

So I toodled off to You Tube to find some tutorials. DV Studios is saving my bacon, thank you very much! it has taken me 6 1/2 hours to go through 7 tutorials and then try the steps out on my own ...

okay ... so I am a slow learner ...

I had a quick chat with Amazing Instructor who offered some tips and supports.

Weirdly, I am kind of enjoying the struggle and the frustration. Only because I am usually on the teaching end of things with new technologies. Often, in my work, I am the one teaching others how to use various software for their classrooms. Sometimes, teachers come in with very little background knowledge and I think this is helping me better understand their own frustrations.

Hair pulling, blurry eyed, head throbbing kind of frustrations ...

Luckily for them, they've got me to help ;)
Luckily for me, I have DV on You Tube!

PS - Something I find very interesting about Lightworks is the term it uses when a project is deleted. It says "Project destroyed". Ominous ...

Comments

Popular Posts